Tuesday, 17 Feb 2026
Subscribe
The Graphic Newspaper
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • More
    • Technology
    • The Nation
    • Education
Reading: UNILORIN dismisses social media claims over delayed induction of 44 medical graduates
Font ResizerAa
The Graphic NewspaperThe Graphic Newspaper
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Top Story
  • More
    • Technology
    • The Nation
    • Education

Trending →

EFCC witness tells Court how N5.78bn UBEC Grants in Kwara were allegedly channelled to salaries, loans, bridges

By The Graphic February 17, 2026

Emir of Ilorin declares commencement of 2026 Ramadan, urges Peace, Charity in Kwara

By The Graphic February 17, 2026

INEC Chairman satisfied with FCT Election readiness

By The Graphic February 17, 2026

Bala Bodinga assumes leadership of Kwara NSCDC, vows tough stance against crime

By The Graphic February 17, 2026

TCN engages Traditional Leaders to curb vandalism, encroachment of infrastructure

By The Graphic February 17, 2026
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2024 Kogi State Newspaper Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Education

UNILORIN dismisses social media claims over delayed induction of 44 medical graduates

The Graphic
Last updated: February 17, 2026 8:24 pm
The Graphic
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

From Taiye Joseph, Ilorin

The management of the University of Ilorin, has moved to calm anxiety among parents and students, following reports circulating on social media that 44 medical graduates from the institution would be merged with the 2025 graduating class for induction into the medical profession.

The clarification comes amid trending posts on X (formerly Twitter), suggesting that the affected graduates, who completed their studies last year, would be inducted alongside the next batch of MBBS students.

Speaking on behalf of the university management, the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, Prof. Biodun Alabi, described the claims as false and misleading.

According to him, 194 students sat for the final MBBS examinations, out of which 175 passed outright while 19 had resit examinations.

Related News

NASU calls for unity, better welfare and security amid WAEC staff congress in Ilorin
Senator Mustapha flags off JAMB, WAEC, NECO registration for 3,000 constituents
Limited resources, our major security challenges- MAU
FG releases N4.25bn to 158 universities for TETFund for 2024 national research fund
Kwara Govt okays School resumption after improved security situation

“We approached the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN), to induct them,” he explained. “However, we were reminded that they could only induct 150, which is our approved quota. We were asked to rank the successful candidates and the first 150 out of the 175 were inducted in November last year.”

He added that although the Federal Government had earlier announced plans to double the admission quota for medical students nationwide, the directive is yet to be implemented.

“We were assured that the remaining 25 who passed and the 19 who later passed their resit examinations would be inducted at a later date,” Prof. Alabi said.

He noted that the university has continued to engage the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria in a bid to secure induction for the outstanding graduates.

“Since that time, we have interacted with the MDCN several times to solicit that the remaining graduands be inducted. This advocacy is still ongoing but we don’t have any headway yet,” he said.

Prof. Alabi dismissed as unfounded the rumour that the 25 graduates not inducted in November 2025 and the 19 who passed their resit examinations in January 2026 would be added to the 2025 graduating set.

“We don’t know where they are getting the information from,” he stated.

Appealing for calm, he assured that the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Wahab Egbewole (SAN), and the university management are actively working to resolve the issue.

“I want to appeal to parents and their wards to be patient, as the Vice Chancellor and the management team are working assiduously to ensure that the remaining 44 are inducted soon,” he said.

He further disclosed that the Vice Chancellor has directed steps toward inviting the MDCN for reaccreditation of the university’s Medicine and Surgery programme.

“With reaccreditation, we hope our quota will be increased from the present 150. That will enable us to have a higher carrying capacity,” Prof. Alabi added.

The university management reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the academic and professional interests of its medical graduates while urging stakeholders to disregard unverified social media reports.

Share This Article
Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram
Previous Article GIMP-Nigeria Highlights Ramadan, Lent coincidence, reinforces need for religious tolerance, National unity
Next Article Court freezes nine Mineral-Laden trucks as EFCC intensifies war on illegal mining in Kwara
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

Popular Posts

FCT Dev: I am committed to Satellite Town Development – Wike

From David Onuoja, Abuja As part of the routine inspection of ongoing critical infrastructure projects…

By The Graphic

KONGONET hails Kogi Speaker for appointing SA on Civil Society

The Kogi State Non Governmental Organization Network (KONGONET), has hailed Speaker, Kogi State House of…

By The Graphic

Ododo vies to strengthen Kogi-Benue ties

By Kehinde Erin Governor Ahmed Usman Ododo of Kogi State, has reaffirmed his commitment to…

By The Graphic
The Graphic Newspaper
Facebook Twitter Youtube Rss Medium

The Graphic Newspaper is a publication of Kogi State Newspaper Corporation

About US



Top Categories
  • Market Trends
  • Tech Moves
Usefull Links
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Complaint
  • Deal

© Kogi State Newspaper Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image
Join Us!

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news, podcasts etc..

Zero spam, Unsubscribe at any buzzstream.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?